Negotiating tips from Alan Weiss
One of the best consultants I’ve ever had the pleasure of learning from has put together several tips on negotiating:
– Start from a very strong position and work your way down from there. Surprisingly, your strong position may be accepted as is. That applies to payment terms, fee levels, etc.
– Understand your “musts” and don’t sacrifice them for mere “wants.” Give in on the discretionary things, fight to the finish on the critical things.
– Listen more than you talk. Don’t attempt to fill silences.
– Try not to go one-on-ten. Negotiate with one person, not a team if at all possible. Otherwise, you’ll have a roomful of people trying to impress each other at your expense.
– Don’t burn bridges. This is business, don’t take it personally. Neither gloat nor pout, do not celebrate or seek revenge. Move on.
Suggested Reading: Blink by Malcolm Gladwell
�� Alan Weiss, 2005 All rights reserved.Tags: Management
Categorized in: Management